websites and counting
Did you know that there are 1 billion websites on the Web today? How are people going to find your website in that digital clutter? I have a few ideas that I’ve gleaned from 20 years as a web designer and developer. I’ve built over 1000 websites for clients who range from medical professionals, real estate agents, retailers, community organizations and professional service providers. The one constant with every job is that launching a website is just the beginning. The real work begins after the site is launched and the client is ready to experience a return on their investment (ROI). Driving traffic to a website requires a strategy and consistency. I can identify at least 100 ways to drive traffic to your site, but let’s just start with a few DIY digital marketing tips to get you going.
These digital marketing tips aren’t hacks or quick fixes but rather a starting point to begin a methodical approach to attract the right kind of audience to your site. By attracting the right audience to your site, you’ll have a higher chance of engaging that audience and filling your sales funnel.
- Search engine optimize your site (SEO). If you don’t know whether or not it’s already optimized, contact me for a free 1-page analysis to show you easy ways that you can optimize your page. You can also do a keyword search to see where your site shows up. The goal is to be in the top 10 search engine results page (SERP).
- Blog on your site. The more relevant and useful content you have on your site, the more likely your site will attract more visitors and keep them coming back. Sign up for my Blog Like a Boss course if you’re just getting started or need a compelling reason to start blogging.
- Guest blog. Find other high-ranking, relevant sites and inquire about guest blogging. Add value to your shared target audience and increase visibility to your site. If you like this idea, I post guest blogs, too.
- Send out email newsletters. This is a great way to proactively engage with your target audience. Build that contact list and drop value bombs on a regular basis.
- Print your URL. Make sure your website address is on ALL printed marketing materials. I see too many small business owners forget to put their web address on their print ads and they lose out on opportunities to extend the conversation past the print ad.
- Optimize Social Profiles. If you have an active profile on LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc, make sure to optimize your profile with relevant keywords and a link to your website.
- Social Syndication. Whenever you publish a blog post on your site, share that link on all of your relevant social sites. Make sure to switch up the message to accommodate the format so you can get more engagement.
- Keywords are Key. If you had only 5 keywords/phrases to describe what you did, could you consistently use those phrases every time you post new content online? If the answer is yes, then identify that list and use it often so you’ll be seen as a relevant source whenever people search for those terms.
- Post Videos. Video blogs (Vlogs) and YouTube are steadily increasing in popularity and have a higher conversion rate. With today’s technology, the barrier to entry is very low and the rate of consumption is very high. Optimize your post with keywords and a link to your site.
- Social Shares. Your blog posts should have social share buttons to encourage your readers to share on their social sites. The more visibility your post gets, the more traffic your site will receive.
Pick at least one of these tips this week and give it a try.
Don’t try to tackle everything at once.
If you have other DIY Digital Marketing Tips, share in the comments.
Spread the love and click the social icons below to share this with your people.